My Quest

This blog is the tale of my quest for home-made, low-salt, traditional, rustic and innovative cuisine. Special attention is given to restaurants and food suppliers in special locations, such as locally owned farms, farmer's markets, walkable people places, water view properties and to properties of notable architectural merit. Restaurants and inns are considered in light of sustainability efforts as well, and noted with a green apple for special efforts to conserve and sustain.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Fishbar


freshlocalfish.com
Montauk New York
This is my favorite seafood restaurant, though I have only been there twice. I love the quiet location away from tourists and crowds with a view of a small harbor. The sunset was stunning the night we went. The meal began with crispy warm rolls and the menu offered so many delightful options I will have to return. The rocket salad was fresh, generous and perfectly dressed. The mussels my husband ordered were in a delicious broth with Thai flavoring. This is the sort of broth I will try myself to recreate. My entree was Pan Seared Tile fish served with fennel, lentils and red potatoes-absolutely a dream of ingredients for an Irish girl like me. The fish skin was perfectly seared. My husband had the Herb Crusted Cod with Shrimp Risotto and grilled vegetables with roasted fresh corn.
The menu impressed me even more by the wonderful options for wine by the glass with two from France and one from Sam Gimignano. The waitress indulged me as I tried each and the French Chablis won out and was a great treat, perfectly suited to the tile fish.
A wonderful end to a day by the bluffs near the lighhouse, photographing fishermen and breathing in the great salt air. Two visits is just the beginning to one of the best features of "The End."

2 comments:

  1. Looks lovely - you might want to try "Block Island" - there is a ferry from Montauk and many fun spots for a hungry tourist.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only been to Block Island once, and it was many years ago. Any favorite spots you can direct me to?

    ReplyDelete