My Quest

This blog is the tale of my quest for home-made, low-salt, traditional, rustic and innovative cuisine. Special attention is given to restaurants and food suppliers in special locations, such as locally owned farms, farmer's markets, walkable people places, water view properties and to properties of notable architectural merit. Restaurants and inns are considered in light of sustainability efforts as well, and noted with a green apple for special efforts to conserve and sustain.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Riviera Bakery Key Lime Pie

 

Ardsley New York
There are certain sweets I never expect a local bakery to do justice to. Perhaps because I had the priveledge to spend time in France, where the fruit of the tart is often the heart of the treat rather than the added sugar American bakeries love to load on, I have grown dubious of American bakeries when it comes to pies. Riviera is a family favorite for the wonderful raspberry filled cake with butter cream frosting which we serve at the most monumental family gatherings. The sour cream coffee cake is next on the list, a special favorite for the enjoyment it brings my mother, who smiles at the white square box and then shares the cake with us over a cup of hot tea.
It was a great surprise to find that the Key Lime Pie of Riviera, recommended by my niece, was not lost in the sugar load of so many I try, but was tart and yet creamy and an absolute delight. It also gained my father's approval, and this being his favorite pie, I salute Riviera once again for another delicious treat!



2 comments:

  1. I miss the Riviera's lemon tart! It has some ground nut in the crust (hazelnut?) and just the right balance of tart/sweet filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am adding a green apple after learning of Riviera's solar capacity and commitment to sustainability.

    ReplyDelete